Working with individual constituents and families on their specific issues is the most important part of my job as an MSP. However below are some examples of what I have helped deliver for our area as an MSP. As our constituency MSP I could do so much more.
- Secured a Sunday rail service on the Maryhill train line benefiting many of our communities. I continue to work for additional improvements including a Sunday service at Barnhill on the Springburn line.
- Worked to get Cadder Community Centre re-opened after Labour closed it, and then supported a successful £1m bid for regeneration funding from the Scottish Government. A new Community Centre will open soon.
- Helped establish a Regeneration Forum in Royston and I am currently looking at delivering more sports and recreational opportunities in the area.
- Supported local partners in their bid to gain cash for a new Health Centre in Possilpark. The state of the art centre has now boosted both healthcare and regeneration in the area.
- Identified funds to bring £5m to Glasgow including direct involvement in winning nearly £2m to rebuild Maryhill Burgh Halls.
- Identified and helped win funds to deliver over £1m to construct a new paddlesports facility at the Pinkston basin, now well used by youth groups across north Glasgow.
- Persuaded Glasgow City Council to extend weekly direct payments to kinship carers.
Some examples of my work in parliament to help constituents.
- convincing the Scottish Government to extend Fatal Accident Inquiries (FAIs) into the death of Scots who die overseas following a campaign by my local constituent Julie Love
- working with the Scottish Government to dramatically improve access to life saving drugs on the NHS
- persuading the Scottish Government to increase the inspection regime in care homes for older people.
- amending legislation to ensure that electrical safety checks must be carried out on private rented accommodation every 5 years to improve safety of families.